Accounting with iptables vs. snmp

Steven M Campbell Netfilter at SCampbell.net
Tue Apr 26 21:26:49 CEST 2005

Stefan-Michael. Guenther (in-put GbR) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>using iptables I have setup a traffic accounting on one of our client's
>gateways:
>
>iptables -A INPUT -i $WAN -j LOG --log-level debug
>iptables -A OUTPUT -o $WAN -j LOG --log-level debug
>iptables -A FORWARD -j LOG --log-level debug

SNMP will record arps and other traffic that hits the nic regardless of
it being directed to that machine or not, iptables (above) will not.
The numbers will likely always be different, I am surprised that
iptables would ever report more data being processed than snmp would.