trying to get DNAT and SNAT working together.

Christian Hedegaard christian.hedegaard at trustcommerce.com
Fri Apr 15 20:29:03 CEST 2005

Hey everyone. I'm trying to achieve something relatively simple (I think).

I want a machine to sit on a public IP. when a request comes in for that
public IP, it redirects the packets to another machine on some public
IP. (iptables DNAT)

when that machine gets the packet, it should think that it came from the
iptables DNAT machine, and send it back there. which is where iptables
SNAT comes in.

however. I can't seem to get the two working together.

in my office I have three machines.

1.87 (running apache)
1.72 (me)
1.85 (iptables)

I have these two rules:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 1.85 --dport 80 -j DNAT \
     --to-destination 1.87

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -d 1.87 --dport 80 -j SNAT \
     --to-source 1.85

theoretically, this says that packets destined for 80 coming to the
iptables machine should get forwarded to the apache machine (1.87), and
any packets destined for the apache machine should be SNAT'ed back to
the firewall machine.

basically, I just want a totally transparent packet forwarder that will
redirect traffic to the proper machine.

however, it's not working. something in my config is wrong and I can't
figure it out.

--
Christian Hedegaard-Schou
Sr. Systems Administrator