stop uptime and name + version querying

Jason Opperisano opie at 817west.com
Tue Apr 12 15:14:13 CEST 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:11:20PM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> [root at ns modules]# sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps
> net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
> [root at ns modules]#
>
> Why
> Is this something I can learn from (HOPE SO).
>
> Thanks
> Brent Clark
>
> P.s. How do I do this (sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps)  on a Debian box

man 8 sysctl would be a good place to start for that answer, but...

  sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps=0

would be a good start.  see if that helps with the nmap uptime query.

if so, add the setting to /etc/sysctl.conf (man 5 sysctl.conf for syntax)
to survive reboots.

-j

--
"Peter: At least they don't put their feminine ointments next to the
 mustard, Lois. That was the worst hot dog I ever ate."