firewall protocols

Nick Drage nickd at metastasis.org.uk
Mon Apr 11 12:45:19 CEST 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 04:27:51PM -0300, Ted Gervais wrote:
> I have just discovered that people are not able to telnet to my system and
> I have been told that it is not because I don't have the necessary ports
> open but rather the problem is because of protocols??
>
> I have no idea what this means and am wondering if someone could
> explain.  If it is needed I can supply a copy of my firewall  but was
> wondering first if anyone has heard of this.

To be honest I think you need to go back to whoever made this remark and
ask them quite what they mean, while following up the suggestions made
elsewhere in the thread.  "protocol" could cover a pretty wide range of
things here, ipv6, tcp, or telnet itself; so their diagnosis needs to be
rather more precise.

--
If you always do what you've always done,
you'll always get what you've always got.