Resend: MASQUERADE: Route sent us somewhere else.

Tim Evans tkevans at tkevans.com
Mon Apr 4 23:55:54 CEST 2005

I'm resending this, as this normally vocal list has been unfortunately silent.

Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 09:39:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tim Evans <tkevans at tkevans.com>
To: netfilter at lists.netfilter.org
Content-MD5: nQ1B8/s75ZlYfpSmzC5wHg==
Subject: MASQUERADE: Route sent us somewhere else.

Since upgrading to RedHat Enterprise Version 4, I've been having goofy routing
problems and iptables has been logging this message regularly:

Apr  3 04:15:01 kestrel kernel: MASQUERADE: Route sent us somewhere else.

My immediate ISP is Comcast, but my main domain is hosted at another ISP.

By "goofy routing problems," I mean I have trouble accessing my *own domain* at
my ISP for POP-ing down e-mail and *all* other connections.  There are periods
of anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or longer where all connections to the
domain simply time out.  At the same time, I *can* connect to other domains,
including others that belong to me on the same ISP.

During these incidents, traceroutes to my main domain hang at the very first hop
(Comcast's first router); if I run a traceroute to any other site in a different
window at the very same time, it proceeds all the way to its destination
virtually instantly.

The above error consistently corresponds with a cron job that runs fetchmail to
POP my e-mail down from the ISP.

I have the following lines in my iptables script that reference masquerading:

/sbin/modprobe ipt_MASQUERADE
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $INET_IFACE -j MASQUERADE

I have not changed the iptables script since upgrading to RHEL 4; I did not see
any such problems with RHEL 3.

What's doubly goofy about these problems is they're intermittent.  After a spell
of being unable to connect (again, ranging from just a few minutes to an hour or
more), it'll suddenly begin working.

And, to repeat, this only affects my primary domain; no other connections to any
other domain I try see these failures.
--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc.	|    5 Chestnut Court
tkevans at tkevans.com		|    Owings Mills, MD 21117