Host name resolutiion broken after 1.2.8?

Paul Bridge pbridge at thestudy.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 11:27:23 CEST 2005

I have a rule for a Walled Garden script on a box which appears to have broken after 1.2.8? Can anyone else
confirm that this is correct?

Simple rule "iptables -I INPUT -s www.somehostname.com -j ACCEPT" fails with
iptables v1.2.9 | 1.3.0 | 1.3.2: host/network `www.somehostname.com` not found

I can find no reference to this in the mailing lists or the Changelogs for the revisions after 1.2.9
which is when it was broken?

Have I missed something?

Kernel revision is 2.4.31 (also broke with 2.4.19 which is why I upgraded the kernel).

The hostname in question can be resolved in the normal manner, but after the iptables rule fails it then fails
to resolve until I flush the local DNS cache.

Thanks in advance.