i/o stats per inode in /proc/net/tcp

Robert Hogan robert at roberthogan.net
Sun Apr 15 11:10:17 CEST 2007

This may be a more appropriate question for lkml, but:

Why does /proc/net/tcp not give i/o stats per inode? Briefly looking at
tcp_ipv4.c and co., it seems none of the sock structures associated with a
tcp sock contain i/o counters so it may be reasons of non-triviality. That
said, it does seem as if tcp_input.c and tcp_output.c could implement
counting if there was a counter available in tcp_sock or the like.

Is there another /proc file that can be used in conjuction with /proc/net/tcp
to gather per inode i/o stats?

It just seems like such a natural thing to offer - as a user I'm always
wondering where that little trickle of i/o on my bw monitor is coming from.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Robert