Control Bandwidth by TOS marking

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at
Fri Sep 1 16:56:42 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 14:45 +0000, André Marques wrote:
> Hello to all!
> I'm trying to implement bandwidth control using TC and
> IPTables, but i'm still having some difficults about
> using the TOS field to implement it.
> Does anybody knows how can i use the TOS field to makr
> the packets in a way that i when they come and go by
> the net they still remain marked?
> Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much!
If it helps, here is an example used to expedite traffic to a local IP
PBX here:

-A OUTPUT -d -p 17 --dport 1024: -j TOS --set-tos
-A INPUT -s -p 17 --sport 1024: -j TOS --set-tos

John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
+1 207-985-7880
jsullivan at

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit