ip routing after changing mac address to a virtual one

first last doctor_konkord at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 19:29:12 CET 2006

Hi all.

 I have a SuSE Linux box with two network interfaces.
An ethernet which I use to connect to the ISP, and a
wireless interface to share Internet with my room
mate. The problem is when I change the MAC address of
my ethernet card (eth1) in order to get a different IP
address from ISP, iptables no longer does the
masquerading, thus my friend can't access to the
Internet anymore. I try to restart iptables but
nothing happens. Our guess is that iptables uses real
mac addresses of network interfaces to forward and NAT
ip packets, so it doesn't work with virtual MAC
address.

can anyone please suggest a solution to this issue?

Thank you very much