What happened to ipt_physdev.c ?

Pascal Hambourg pascal.mail at plouf.fr.eu.org
Sat Nov 25 13:56:36 CET 2006

Hello,

Paul Reilly a écrit :
> In recent kernels, 2.6.16.x   there is no longer any
>
> net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_physdev.c

Yes, since 2.6.16 it was replaced by net/netfilter/xt_physdev.c.

> and no option in kernel config to enable CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PHYSDEV

Yes there is. I just checked in vanilla 2.6.16 and 2.6.16.20.

> So I have no physdev in /proc/net/ip_tables_matches
> and my rules which include a -m physdev fail with:
>
> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
>
> Has PHYSDEV been moved somewhere else?

Since 2.6.16 the corresponding module is named xt_physdev.ko and depends
on x_tables and bridge.

> How do I enable it?

Symbol: NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PHYSDEV [=m]
Prompt: "physdev" match support
   Defined at net/netfilter/Kconfig:282
   Depends on: NET && NETFILTER && NETFILTER_XTABLES && BRIDGE_NETFILTER
   Location:
     -> Networking
       -> Networking support (NET [=y])
         -> Networking options
           -> Network packet filtering (replaces ipchains) (NETFILTER [=y])
             -> Core Netfilter Configuration
               -> Netfilter Xtables support (required for ip_tables)
(NETFILTER_XTABLES [=m])

CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PHYSDEV is located in the "Core Netfilter
Configuration" submenu and depends on CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES
(Netfilter Xtables support) and CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER (Bridged IP/ARP
packets filtering) which depends on CONFIG_BRIDGE (802.1d Ethernet
Bridging).