[announce] pyctd 0.1, a connection tracking XML-RPC server

Pablo Neira Ayuso pablo at netfilter.org
Wed Nov 8 20:42:45 CET 2006

Eric Leblond wrote:
> INL devel team is proud to announce the availability of pyctd, PYthon
> Conntrack Daemon.
>
> pyctd is a XML-RPC service for monitoring and altering Netfilter
> connections tracking for network admins.

It seems that you are producing interesting stuff for sysadmins.

> It has the following functionnalities :
>       * Connection listing (with byterate of each connections)

So, I assume that you are dumping the conntrack every N seconds, I'd
like to know what is the impact of this in terms of performance on a
busy firewall (lots of conntrack entries).

>       * Entries removal
>       * Modification of connection mark and timeout
>
> pyctd is a free software released under GNU General Public License.

I don't know if you had the chance to have a look at conntrackd, its
statistics mode is still poor but can be improved quite easily. I want
to implement conntrack dumping in XML format via conntrackd, this can be
interesting for 3rd party apps. My impression is that this daemon would
look very similar to mine, so would you consider integrating this with
conntrackd?

--
The dawn of the fourth age of Linux firewalling is coming; a time of
great struggle and heroic deeds -- J.Kadlecsik got inspired by J.Morris