Starting a fw

Robert Vangel vangelr at rfgt.net
Mon Jul 11 09:35:15 CEST 2005

Please try to keep the discussion on-list. Thanks.

Visham Ramsurrun wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> First of, many thx for the reply..
>

>>What distro? I am going to take a stab at it and choose RH/Fedora. I am also going to take a stab at it (I don't use Fedora) and say that default runlevel is 4?
>

> Yes, i'm using Red Hat 9 with an upgraded kernel of 2.6.11.7
>

>>If my memory serves me well (I hope it does), the file we need to look at is /etc/sysconfig/iptables. The contents of this file match the output of a `iptables-save'. Basically what the init script does is `iptables-restore < /etc/sysconfig/iptables'.
>

>>All you need to do is edit the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file to match your needs and then restart the iptables service.
>

> Do I delete the lines that are written inthe file and then paste the
> contents of my fiewall script?

You don't just paste the contents line for line. It needs to be changed a little.

Take a look at

http://zilla.id.au/netfilter/iptables & http://zilla.id.au/netfilter/shell

The first file is what I call `iptables syntax'. It is the file outputted by running `iptables-save' and can be read by using `iptables-restore < file'

The second is simply a shell script, executing iptables each time and appending each rule.

Hopefully the two files above will help you in converting your shell script into the iptables syntax one to put in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.