Unable to add rule on Chain with 28 characters.

Jason Opperisano opie at 817west.com
Fri Jul 8 22:09:38 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:01:03PM -0300, Rafael Dreher wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm trying do add a rule on a user-defined chain, on the NAT table, with
> >>28 characters.
> >

> >my guess is you're leaving out the '-t nat' as custom chains only exist
> >in the table they're created in:
> >

> Hi, again.
>
> I guess no. :)

provide more info next time and i won't have to guess.  :-D

> [root at ward] [16:55:58]
> [~]#iptables -t nat -N ecommerce-internet at POSTROUTING
>
> [root at ward] [16:56:01]
> [~]#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j ecommerce-internet at POSTROUTING
> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
>
> [root at ward] [16:56:19]
> [~]#
>
> Am I crazy? :)
>
> This chain has 30 characters... the max.. if I reduce it to 28, it's added
> wihtout any problem.

(note:  your OP said the error was with the 28 char chain)

it looks like 29 characters is the max:

  30 char chain name:

  # iptables -t nat -N PubABFZhrRJgwChbszxazNssqWKWB
  # iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j PubABFZhrRJgwChbszxazNssqWKWB
  iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

  29 char chain name:

  # iptables -t nat -N PubABFZhrRJgwChbszxazNssqWKW
  # iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j PubABFZhrRJgwChbszxazNssqWKW
  #

-j

--
"Peter: This party couldn't be better if Jesus was here.
 Jesus: For my next miracle, I will turn water... into FUNK."