max-src-conn-rate (Connection rate throttling per IP)

Sascha Reissner sascha.reissner at toxicnet.de
Tue Aug 30 15:03:11 CEST 2005

Benoit Panizzon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for a way to prevent connection DOSing of specific services.
>
> The goal is to count the connection rate per conneting ip and then reject
> those connections if they pass a certain limit.
>
> It looks like OpenBSD's pf is the only packet filter (except some commerctial
> Firewalls) which has this ability.
>
> The best I managed with iptables is to throttle the connection rate for a
> specific port, but this of course affecs normal users trying to use that
> service and does not change the fact of the service being DOSed.
>
> The other possibility I found is to write my own userspace QUEUE target
> connection rate tracker via the iptables api. But as I'm not a programmer and
> I think this is a quite common request I just wonder:
>
> Hasn't allready somebody written such a per source connection rate limmiter?
>
> Is there a repository of different userspace QUEUE tools where I could find
> something similar?
>
> Regards

Uhm, why don't you just use features that are already built into
iptables? Like the following:

--state NEW -m recent --set
--state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 3 -j DROP

and hitcount. This will DROP incoming _new_ connections if they exceed
the counter in a given timeframe. It will resume accepting _new_
connection requests from the given source ip address once the counter to
timespan treshold does not get exceeded.

I use this to prevent simple scripts from bruteforcing my sshd.

Okay you might run into problems if people use forged source ip adresses
since this would also block _new_ connection requests from this ip.

If someone has a smarter idea - let me know.

Regards,
Sascha