Limit

Damon Gray dgray at internap.com
Fri Aug 26 23:18:31 CEST 2005

I agree connlimit is currently the way to go, however I would make two
modifications to the example below.

iptables -t filter -A INPUT -i ${WAN} -d ${WANIPAddress}
    -p tcp --syn --dport 3333 -m connlimit --connlimit-above 10
    -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

Notice the --syn and -j REJECT. I prefer rejects because if you just drop
the SYN packets most TCP stacks (by RFC) send up to 4 or 5 more to make
sure they got through. You could also send an icmp port unreachable or
something as well.

-Damon-