IPTABLES suddenly stop

Henrique Duran hduran at terra.com.br
Fri Aug 19 02:42:37 CEST 2005

            Recently I have configured na Iptables Firewall with transparent
proxy (squid) on a Debian RC3.01 machine. The machine is a pentium 3, with
600MHz and 196 MB of RAM. The script is working fine, there is no problem
with the rules, but a strange thing happens.

Sometimes the internet connection suddenly stops. The external interface
stop responding. To solve the problem, sometimes I only restart the
interface (ifdown eth0; ifup eth0) bot sometime it doesn't work and the only
solution is to reboot the machine.

I have already checked /proc/net/ip_conntrack, the logs and restarted the
firewall script, but I can only reestablish the service rebooting the
machine.