Bandwidth/network monitoring tools

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Aug 16 12:37:09 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 08:43 +0100, Greg Cope wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone got any suggestions for monitoring network usage by hostclient/protocol?
>
> I am occassionally involved with debugging why our internet bandwidth
> is "slow" - and I am sure I am not the only person who has been here
> and I assume there are some simple tools for this sort of thing.
>
> I am not after debugging tools like netstat, lsof, or tcpdump.
> Excellent as they are, they are too fine grained.
>
> Ideally this would work with our iptables based firewall/router that
> does DMZ as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg
I'm not sure how granular you want to be.  Have you looked at MRTG or
Etherape? - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net