Transparent proxy where source IP address remains unchanged -- possible?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Mon Aug 15 08:51:38 CEST 2005

> Interesting. Are there any pre-packaged ways to do this? This sounds like
> perhaps the least complex solution, once it's actually implemented.

Pre-packaged solutions?  Um, sure, it's called Linux.  :P  No, I don't know of any ""pre-packaged solutions.  What there are is pre made building blocks that you can put together in to your own solution.

> That could work. I'm really only worried about DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP,
> POP3, IMAP, and SSH. So I could redirect all those ports to different
> ports on on faketarget (DNAT), then back to the real ports on realtarget
> (using REDIRECT target?).
>
> Can you give me an example (or point me to a URL) of what rules I would
> need to run on realtarget to MARK the connections and then decide which
> routing table to use?  Are we just talking about iptables commands, or is
> there something additional that is required?

This is the command that you would need to run on the fake target to do the up and over part:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $INet -d $FakeTargetIP -p tcp --dport 22 -j DNAT --to-destination $RealTargetIP:2222

This is the corresponding command that you would need to run on the real target to do the down and in part:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i $INet -d $RealTargetIP -p tcp --dport 2222 -j MARK --set-mark $Mark
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $INet -d $RealTargetIP -p tcp --dport 2222 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 22

I'm not sure if you want the MARK target or the CONNMARK target as I have not worked with either of them.  But I think you see what I'm trying to accomplish with them.  As far as the rule, a little bit of reading should explain that (I'd have to do the reading my self at this hour).

Grant. . . .