IP Tables slows network response times

Eric Leblond eric at inl.fr
Sun Aug 14 11:49:27 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 21:33 +1200, Michael Hallager wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I have spent rather a lot of time trying to find an answer for this one.
>
> I have a Slackware Linux box, 2.4.29 kernel running IP Tables. I have the bare
> number of needed modules compiled into the custom kernel.

> This works except it makes webpages and email served from this box SLOW to
> respond. (Several seconds).

several seconds ? looks like you've got a timeout problem on name
resolution (or another network access). Please ensure that DNS or name
resolution traffic is not blocked.
More over, add a rule to accept loopback traffic on INPUT, blocked
loopback traffic could explain problem you have.

Hope this help,
--
Eric Leblond <eric at inl.fr>
INL