SYN only packets

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Fri Aug 5 07:51:28 CEST 2005

Try taking a look at SYN-Cookies in the Linux kernel.  This code was
written explicitly for this type of situation.

You can not stop SYN packets as they are the very first packet in the
three way handshake to start a TCP connection.  About all you can do
(other than SYN-Cookies) is to rate limit the number of packets per
source IP.

Grant. . . .