REDIRECT to multiple ports

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Sep 30 16:33:08 CEST 2004

Shpend Bakalli wrote:
> I have a transparent squid proxy with 3 running squid processes in it (to make use of mltiprocessor architecture). Each have different ports.
> I'm using REDIRECT to redirect packets comming with destination port 80 to ports 3127 - 3129 in the proxy server.
> Although the distribution of the requests should be done in a round-robin fashion, it seems it is not done like that.
> Any idea how kernel/iptables manages this kind of redirection? Is it a simple round-robin or there is some other method of distribution?

Not really Netfilter related, but, why do you need multiple Squid
processes to make use of multiprocessor architecture?  Squid will spawn
child processes by itself and assign incomming requests to them in round
robin fashion.  Unless you have a huge number of incomming requests per
second, this shouldn't be a problem.