ip alias

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Sep 28 15:56:58 CEST 2004

John Black wrote:
> but the traffic from that i need to go to the internet i would
> like to
> have addressed as

You need SNAT (source NAT), not DNAT (destination NAT).  I'll assume
eth0 has address

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j SNAT --to-source

or if eth0 has dinamically allocated IP address:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUARADE

I'm not sure why you are assigning local IP address as an alias to your
external interface (probably something you haven't mentioned), so I
wan't comment on whether it is needed or not.  Also, in case when you
have multiple IP addresses (aliases) assigned to an interface, I'm not
sure exactly how MASQUERADE target behaves.  man iptables for more
details and differences between SNAT and MASQUERADE targets.