round-robin aliases

Jason Opperisano opie at
Fri Sep 17 20:20:45 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:57, Ryan D wrote:
> Ive been trying to find a way to do this... I have eth0 on the
> network (eth0 has ip I also have 5 aliases
> on the same network with these ips:
> eth0:1
> eth0:2
> eth0:3
> eth0:4
> Id like to round-robin the source ip on a per connection basis, meaning,
> if I ssh to it may come from eth0:1, if I then ssh to
> it will come from eth0:2, etc.  So the destination ssh
> machines will see different source IPs.
> Is this possible with netfilter/iproute2?  The only potential problem I
> see is with the arp table, but I also dont understand this stuff as well
> as I would like.
> -Ryan

this is the default behavior of the SNAT code:

  iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 \
    -j SNAT --to-source

layer 2 devices don't have problems with many IP's being associated with
the same MAC address--they don't particularly like the same MAC address
being associated with multiple ports.

Jason Opperisano <opie at>