two negatived parameters

Jason Opperisano opie at
Mon Sep 6 22:16:00 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 04:28, Akolinare at wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a little question with two negatived parameters in one rule.
> I create a rule, which should only match if source and destination are not
> the given. I think that it is easy and try the following rule:
> iptables -A FORWARD -s ! host1 -d ! host2 -j ACCEPT
> But with this rule pakets from host1 to host3 (or from host2 to host3) were
> not affected. It seems like the logical combination is OR and not AND unlike
> the not negatived rule.
> I think that the rule is logical right. Is it a little bug or have I
> misunderstood something?
> I used the version 1.2.11 with kernel 2.4.26.
>   Markus

a rule matches only when all the parameters are true.  a packet from
host1 does not match your example rule (it explicitly says "-s !
host1"), and this is how it should work.  consider the non-negative

  -A FORWARD -s host1 -d host2 -j ACCEPT

would you propose that a packet from host1 to host3 should match that
rule?  i don't think so...

in your example rule, as soon as the source is host1 or the destination
is host2--the rule no longer matches.

Jason Opperisano <opie at>