No chain/target/match by that name

Jason Opperisano opie at 817west.com
Sun Sep 5 16:54:12 CEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 10:31, Steve Turnbull wrote:
> Hi
>
> Our web server is configured;
> Debian (Woody) (No X installed)
> Kernel 2.4.23 - configured with iptables in mind
> iptables v1.2.6a
>
> When we start the firewall script, we get this message;
> 'No chain/target/match by that name'

start your fw script with the following:

        bash -x <script>

and it will show you the parsing of every line and you will be able to
see which line causes the error.

if i had to take a stab in the dark--i'd guess it's "-m state" rule;
which would mean you built your kernel without connection tracking
support--which would explain the other behavior as well...

the connection tracking option is "CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK" in your
kernel config.  i *highly* recommend including it unless you have a very
compelling reason not to.

-j

--
Jason Opperisano <opie at 817west.com>