Default routing setup

Sunny Shum sshum at empowertechnologies.com
Fri Sep 3 23:38:05 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I am a newbie into the Linux world, and I recently built a firewall box (2
NICs, internal network as 192.168.1.xxx) with RedHat 9.  Everything works
fine, except the routing table.  Every time when the system has reboot, I
have to do the following command:

prompt>route del default

prompt>route add default gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [external gateway IP]

Because I don't do that, and if I just type "route" at the prompt, the
default is point back to the internal NIC.  Is there a way to make this
permanent?  I tried to edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network by adding the
line "GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" but it doesn't work.

Thanks!

Sunny Shum