iptables user space programs installation questions
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:48:02 -0700
> I'm using Slackware Linux here and I'm not quite fully understanding the
> installation instructions for iptables 1.2.2.
> Do I need to recompile my kernel up to the "make dep" point, and then
> install iptables, and then finish up the kernel compile? Or... like I
> said, I'm not clear on this.
> The reason I ask is certain things like ipt_unclean and ipt_MIRROR (or was
> it ipt_mirror) never become options for me.
Iptables install/Kernel compile hints:
Certain things are not available as kernel options unless you patch your
kernel with 'make patch-o-matic'.
1) Do a 'make oldoconfig' (or 'make menuconfig') in your /usr/src/linux.
2) Do a 'make && make install' where you untarred the iptables archive.
3) Do a 'make patch-o-matic' and apply the patches that you need (I
would advice testing first to see if it applies cleanly as not all
patches are compatible with each other)
4) Go back to /usr/src/linux and do a 'make menuconfig' and select the
newly available/desired options.
5) Finish your normal kernel compile (make dep; make clean; make