unresolved symbol(s)

William Stearns wstearns@pobox.com
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:47:37 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Daryl Pawluk wrote:

> i am using netfilter-0.1.12 and i get this:
>
> # depmod -ea
> /lib/modules/2.3.29/net/ipfwadm.o: unresolved symbol(s)
>  nf_unregister_hook
>  nf_unregister_sockopt
>  nf_register_hook
>  nf_register_sockopt
> /lib/modules/2.3.29/net/ipchains.o: unresolved symbol(s)
>  nf_unregister_hook
>  nf_unregister_sockopt
>  nf_register_hook
>  nf_register_sockopt
>
> why are these symbols unresolved? i am using 2.3.29 with these options.
> the compile is ok.
>
> [config snipped]

	My best understanding from Paul is that ipfwadm and ipchains
modules should not be put in the /lib/modules/kernel_ver/net directory;
rather, these should be loaded with:
insmod /path/to/netfilter/directory/compat/ipfwadm.o
	or
insmod /path/to/netfilter/directory/compat/ipchains.o
	As one might want to keep these modules around even for old kernel
versions, I wish this weren't the case, but perhaps some future release
might handle this more gracefully.  On the other hand, if I had to choose
between functional and graceful, I'd choose functional every time.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."
	-- Matt Groening
(Courtesy of Steve Dodd <dirk@loth.demon.co.uk>)
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com).  Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at: http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns/