A module counter leak of some sort perhaps?

William Stearns wstearns@pobox.com
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 00:49:06 -0500 (EST)

Good day, all,
	I'm using netfilter-0.1.12 on kernel 2.3.28 (patched with Ingo's
zoned-2.3.28-K4 patch; otherwise, I can't use the first 15M of my 40M
laptop).
	As I mentioned earlier, Mason is running on iptables now; part of
the day has been building a firewall on it.  This process involves lots of
flush, policy, put in a bunch of block rules, put in stadard user rules,
then log *1 the rest cycles.
	I'm finding that the module usage counts are rising and I'm not
sure why.  After an evening of Mason work:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
Chain OUTPUTN (0 references)
Chain FORWARDN (0 references)
Chain INPUTN (0 references)
Chain NoSpoof (0 references)

[root@sparrow /etc]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
[snip]
ipt_icmp                 644  34  (autoclean)
ipt_tcp                  928 834  (autoclean)
ipt_udp                  6721511  (autoclean)
ipt_LOG                 2624   0
ipt_state                592  10
iptables                7080   5  [ipt_icmp ipt_tcp ipt_udp ipt_LOG ipt_state]
ip_conntrack_ftp        1288   0  (unused)
ip_conntrack           11072   2  [ipt_state ip_conntrack_ftp]

	1511 uses for the udp module?  Shouldn't the count on that get
decremented to zero when I do an iptables -F?
	My apologies if I've misunderstood the meaning of that count, but
at the very least:

[root@sparrow /etc]# rmmod ipt_udp
rmmod: ipt_udp: Device or resource busy

	Cheers,
	- Bill

*1 By the way; the logging on iptables is marvelous.  By putting in a
--state ESTABLISHED,RELATED accept rule at the top, each new protocol only
makes a single log entry.  Mason can keep up with that even on this old
box.  No more log storms!

	..all in all it's just another rule in the firewall.
	/Ping Flood/
(Courtesy of Hirling Endre)
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com).  Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at: http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns/