cannot flush rules if new modules installed

Adam Kumiszcza qman@from.pl
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 13:14:03 +0100

This is not a bug, just an inconvenience.

I upgraded netfilter to 0.1.12 while running 0.1.11. Then I wanted to flush
the rules and reinstall new modules (modprobe). But iptables -F shows now:

iptables: can't initialize iptables: Module is wrong version
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I think this is because the modules installed are old (I mean not in
/lib/modules, but those seen by lsmod). The problem is I cannot rmmod them
if the device is busy. So there's no way to reinstall it -- I have to boot
the system or compile old netfilter, flush and then compile new netfilter.

One way to prevent such situations is to make 'iptables -F' automatically
before make install (or show at least a warning that it should be done). Or
maybe there's a way to specially treat '-F' command?

--
*Adam Kumiszcza* <Qman@from.pl> <Qman@NULL.net> | +48 58 3036132 +48 606108180
from.pl/~qman/PGP.txt | KeyID D46BF4E5 | UIN 43143148 | Reg. Linux User #58164