New H.323 conntrack & NAT helper module

Greg Scott GregScott at InfraSupportEtc.com
Sat Feb 25 05:00:04 CET 2006

Holey moley - this is GREAT news!!

A couple questions.  Will this module work with 2.6.16 and upcoming
newer kernels?  And - this is a biggie - the documentation says all I
need to do is SNAT TCP 1720 for outbound calls and DNAT TCP 1720 for
inbound calls.  No more tinkering by hand with zillions of TCP/UDP ports
- no more trying to figure out if Polycom or Tandberg or whatever is on
which end.  Is this really true???  Will this patch really figure out
and track the dynamic ports these devices use by default?  If so, then
HOT DOGGIES!!!!

Also - will it work with proxy ARP?  Let's say I proxy ARP an H.323
device behind the firewall.  Will this patch still handle connection
tracking, even though there is no NAT?  The idea is, I would put a rule
in the FORWARD table for TCP 1720 and the patch would "know" it's an
H.323 device and also track and forward the appropriate TCP and UDP
ports.  But it would be to a public IP Address proxy ARP'd behind the
firewall instead of a NAT'd device.

thanks

- Greg Scott