libnetfilter_queue man page

Brad Fisher brad at info-link.net
Tue Feb 21 19:10:00 CET 2006

Gregor Maier wrote:

>> -----------------
>> nfq_set_verdict()
>> -----------------
>>
>> Prototype:
>> 	int nfq_set_verdict(struct nfq_q_handle *qh, u_int32_t id, u_int32_t verdict, u_int32_t data_len, unsigned char *buf)
>>
>> Parameters:
>> 	qh			Netfilter queue handle obtained by call to nfq_create_queue().
>> 	id			ID assigned to packet by netfilter.  Can be obtained by:
>> 					int id;
>> 					struct nfqnl_msg_packet_hdr *ph = nfq_get_msg_packet_hdr(tb);
>> 					if (ph) id = ntohl(ph->packet_id);
>> 	verdict		Verdict to return to netfilter
>> 					NF_ACCEPT	- Accept the packet
>> 					NF_DROP		- Drop the packet
>> 					???			- anything else possible? (ie. continue?,
>> 									jump? goto? log?)
>>
> After digging through kernel source I'm pretty sure, that the only
> possible verdicts are
> NF_DROP, NF_ACCEPT
> NF_REPEAT  (queue the packet to userspace again) --> may lead to loops
> NF_QUEUE   same as NF_REPEAT. There's a differnce between the handling
> of NF_QUEUE and NF_REPEAT, but I don't know what this difference leads to.
>
> Why? When a packet is queued to userspace it "leaves" the current hook
> (e.g. the filter table) for good therefore it's not possible to continue
> with the next rule in the current chain or to jump to another chain.
>
> Maybe you also want to take a look at the Netfilter Hacking Howto, esp.
> section 3 (netfilter architecture)
>
> btw: thank's for the manpage

Glad to hear someone has found it useful :)
You are correct, I also came to the conclusion that those are the only
verdicts available.  The NF_REPEAT verdict seems to send the packet back
through the entire chain/hook.  It doesn't start it at the next rule
following the queue rule (which I'd like to have, but perhaps it's not
possible).

BTW: I have had a chance to actually work with the library a bit, so I
have updated my notes since I sent the previous message.  I didn't add
much, just updated some of the questionable info.  If anyone is
interested, I'll be glad to send them a copy.  So far the biggest issues
I've run into are that marking doesn't work in 2.6.15 (I think it should
in 2.6.16), and I can't seem to ever read the timestamp for a packet, no
matter what hook it comes in on.  I've just been using gettimeofday for
that for now.

-Brad