Doubt on packet generation in kernel space.

varun varun at rocsys.com
Fri Aug 12 13:23:01 CEST 2005

Hi jesse,

           Let me explain my requirement. I have a kernel module which
is basically maintaining some network database of what are the MAC and
Ip of each of the system in the network. Now with the help of a
character pseudo driver, my user program will send an request to the
kernel module to generate the icmp (ping) packet to a particular host
from the maintained kernel database. It is on this event that the packet
generator module comes into picture where in the inputs to the module is
IP and based on this the i might get a response from the destination
system and i will compare the MACs to see if they are equal. So for this
requirement i need a packet generator to handle this event. Only an icmp
packet is enough.

                 Thanx in advance.
                                                       Varun