RFC: Partial IP4 syntax

Henrik Nordstrom hno at marasystems.com
Wed Sep 29 10:55:23 CEST 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Simon Lodal wrote:

> What tools are passing IP's literally as full 32bits? I understand why
> programs (especially in script languages) might do it internally, but between
> programs?

IETF has not defined such ascii representation of IPv4 addresses, but the
BSD libc inet_aton function does and this has been inherited by very many
systems and tools.

This notation is being depreated as it does not serve a very useful
purpose and can be somewhat confusing, but it exists and conflicting with
it would be a bad idea.

> If it is really a problem I agree my scheme will break it. Could probably be
> solved by changing the default to incomplete-at-beginning, so 10 = .10 =
> 0.0.0.10.

Not without breaking existing "industry standards" on how IP numbers can
be typed.

You could use 10. for the 10.0.0.0/8 network.

Regards
Henrik