Discrete packaging of experimental modules

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Sep 18 23:55:42 CEST 2004

--On Saturday, September 18, 2004 6:45 PM +0200 Henrik Nordstrom
<hno at marasystems.com> wrote:

> Extensions which is self-contained (header + c file, no patching of other
> files) can be compiled outside of the kernel just as any other kernel
> module, but there is no infrastructure in the netfilter project for doing
> this kind of out-of-kernel module builds and how to do this is left as an
> excersise to the reader.

Oh, good, thanks.

> Please note that you also need to build the userspace extension object.

Expected, hence my question/suggestion about making the extensions
dynamically loadable. For instance, it would be nice if an extension could
drop its userspace into, say, /usr/libexec/netfilter/xxx.so and be
instantly recognized. One could then release a kernel-matched rpm or deb
with the kernel module and the userspace component for the extension.