Discrete packaging of experimental modules

Henrik Nordstrom hno at marasystems.com
Sat Sep 18 18:45:41 CEST 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> I was considering using the TARPIT module on my Fedora system but it seems
> that to do that I'll need to compile a custom kernel. Seems like part of the
> point of loadable drivers is to avoid this very thing. So is it feasible to
> build and package single netfilter modules the way one does drivers? If so,
> is it also feasible to build and package the userspace part as a dynamic
> library to be pulled into iptables and friends on demand? Or is this all on
> the future roadmap?

Extensions which is self-contained (header + c file, no patching of other
files) can be compiled outside of the kernel just as any other kernel
module, but there is no infrastructure in the netfilter project for doing
this kind of out-of-kernel module builds and how to do this is left as an
excersise to the reader.

Please note that you also need to build the userspace extension object.

Regards
Henrik