GPL violation by router manufacturer Conceptronic

Miguel Angel Alvarez maacruz at usuarios.retecal.es
Thu Dec 16 20:37:42 CET 2004

Hi all!

 I have found what may be (it surely seems to be) a GPL violation by
Conceptronic (it was Tulip computers some years ago).
 They sell a router, actual model is C100BRS4H. Their web page is
http://www.conceptronic.net, go to products->networking and you'll find it
here.

 A friend of mine bought one today.
 I first ran nmap against this device, and identified it as running linux
2.4.18-2.4.20
 Then I asked my friend to look for GPL notices and source code on the
documentation and he could find none.
 So, I went to the manufacturers web to look it myself, and could find no
reference to linux or GPL code. What I found was and actual update to the
router's ROM.
 The download site is
http://download.tulip.com/support/Conceptronic/Network/C100BRS4H/
After i downloaded it (C100BRS4H_2.97.bin) and ran the strings command i found
the following significative strings:
 webpages-6104k.bin
 vmlinux.bin

 I couldn't dig more since I don't know what proccessor has the device nor
what compression algorithm they are using.
 The rest was garbage, so i suposse this are two compressed files.
 I searched in google, but i couldn't find any reference to this particular
violation, just another violation in a wireless router from same
manufacturer.

This is nmap output:
 Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-12-16 16:58 CET
 Interesting ports on (my friend's IP):
 (The 1651 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
 PORT STATE SERVICE
 53/tcp filtered domain
 80/tcp filtered http
 515/tcp filtered printer
 631/tcp filtered ipp
 8080/tcp open http-proxy
 9100/tcp filtered jetdirect
 9111/tcp filtered DragonIDSConsole
 9152/tcp filtered ms-sql2000
 Device type: general purpose
 Running: Linux 2.4.X
 OS details: Linux 2.4.18 - 2.4.20 (X86)
 Uptime 0.116 days (since Thu Dec 16 14:11:32 2004)

 Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 27.013 seconds
--
Don't see the world trought a window, be open{source}minded, and be free :-)