Dynamic banning of hosts

Nigel Kukard nkukard@lbsd.net
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:14:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Robert Sandilands wrote:

> This is such a bad idea. Think of the following nmap command:
>
> nmap -sT
> -Dwww.cnn.com,www.microsoft.com,www.netscape.com,www.whitehouse.gov,www.nsa.
> gov,www.nasa.gov,www.iana.org,ME your.ip.address.range
>
> Wouldn't that have sort of the wrong effect on your system?

why would u think that? i'm not talking about outgoing traffic, i'm talking
about incomming... so portscanning from the inside out i have no problem with
as many of out technical support personell do this to see if our servers are
up & running the services tehy sposed to be. futhermore, u could easily tune
the below project to only block those protocols being used to attack or
whateva.

> Just a simple question.
>
> Robert Sandilands

Contact Details
Name: Nigel Kukard
GSM Mobile: (+27) 082 564 2120
GSM Fax: (+27) 082 131 564 2120
Email: nkukard@linuxrulz.za.net

Organizations
 - LinuxRulz
     Position: Linux Systems/Network Administrator