(was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] iptables-1.2.4 released)

Brad Chapman
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:55:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- Harald Welte <> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:54:23AM -0700, Brad Chapman wrote:
> > Mr. Harald,
> > >

> > 	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > 	Where did this domain come from? This is the second time I've seen this
> > domain name.
> Where should it have come from?  From a ICANN accredited domain registrar.

	Ahem..... duh ;)

	What I meant was, when did Rusty register it?

> Rusty reserved the domain quite some time ago.  About one year ago the
> master DNS was transferred to me ( and I've created a couple of
> email aliases (to be announced on the new homepage) as well as the
> (which has it's own IP address but is running on
> as well).

	When you ever get around to getting CVS->FTP working, is that where it
will appear, somewhere in

> is currently registered on somebody else, but he has registered
> it for us and is in the process of transferring it to me.

	Will stuff in be the same as stuff in

> >  And where is Dare I hope that the new website for
> >  Netfilter will appear somewhere in the domain?
> The general issue is that the netfilter project has no master homepage and
> no mirrors.  By announcing three homepages of equal rank we try to prevent
> people from getting lost in case one of the sites is down.
> In order to stay with this past decision, we don't have much of an option.
> The only viable solution would be to do round-robin DNS (have three A records
> for

	Why? Put the master website on, mirror it to
netfilter.*.* as well as and hold it in either your CVS at or in Samba's CVS at That way, you have _seven_
different places to get the webpages from.
	Keep the old netfilter.*.* addresses, but hide all five Web servers in a
round-robin arrangement, so that you don't know which site it's coming from. The
only drawback is keeping them all updated ATST :(

	BTW, why haven't you mirrored the iptables CVS into your CVS server? It
seems logical, because if you did, you would have two mirrors for the CVS. Are
there checkout/checkin issues when transferring CVS state info from one repository
to another?

> I guess we will discuss this while meeting at Linux-Kongress 2001 (see my
> upcoming announcement).

	I saw that. What will the main development topics be, if I may ask?

> > Brad
> --
> Live long and prosper
> - Harald Welte /