netfilter.org? (was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] iptables-1.2.4 released)

Harald Welte laforge@gnumonks.org
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:59:33 +0200

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:54:23AM -0700, Brad Chapman wrote:
> Mr. Harald,

> > http://netfilter.samba.org/iptables-1.2.4.tar.bz2
> > http://netfilter.gnumonks.org/iptables-1.2.4.tar.bz2
> > http://netfilter.filewatcher.org/iptables-1.2.4.tar.bz2
> > ftp://ftp.netfilter.org/pub/iptables/iptables-1.2.4.tar.bz2
> 	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 	Where did this domain come from? This is the second time I've seen this
> domain name.

Where should it have come from?  From a ICANN accredited domain registrar.
Rusty reserved the domain quite some time ago.  About one year ago the
master DNS was transferred to me (gnumonks.org) and I've created a couple of
email aliases (to be announced on the new homepage) as well as the
ftp.netfilter.org (which has it's own IP address but is running on
coruscant.gnumonks.org as well).

 Iptables.org is currently registered on somebody else, but he has registered
it for us and is in the process of transferring it to me.

>  And where is www.netfilter.org? Dare I hope that the new website for
>  Netfilter will appear somewhere in the netfilter.org domain?

The general issue is that the netfilter project has no master homepage and
no mirrors.  By announcing three homepages of equal rank we try to prevent
people from getting lost in case one of the sites is down.

In order to stay with this past decision, we don't have much of an option.
The only viable solution would be to do round-robin DNS (have three A records
for www.netfilter.org).

I guess we will discuss this while meeting at Linux-Kongress 2001 (see my
upcoming announcement).

--
Live long and prosper
- Harald Welte / laforge@gnumonks.org               http://www.gnumonks.org/