Planning to release iptables-1.2.4

Brad Chapman kakadu_croc@yahoo.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:26:22 -0700 (PDT)

Mr. Nordstrom,

--- Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com> wrote:
> Brad Chapman wrote:
>
> > --- Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com> wrote:
> > > Some minor patch-o-matic stuff:
> > >
> > > record-rpc needs to make use of export-objs
> >
> >         So does ip_conntrack_proto_tcp and friends. I think I saw patches on
> > netfilter-devel.....
>
> This is not required for the base kernel.

            Huh? IDGI. I'll check and see if it isn't, because I was sure
that the new symbol policy was the problem my friend and I saw when
compiling 2.4.12.

> The tcp window tracking patch however seems to require
> ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.o to be an export-obj, and it should be possible
> to fix tcp-window-tracking similary to the record-rpc patch fix.. The
> new improved tcp window tracking patch may have other requirements. I am
> not using either of the tcp-window-tracking patches and is why I don't
> have a fix ready.

            I believe Mr. Jozsef said that all he needed to do to fix it was
add ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.o to export-objs.

> > > the string match uses the 2.4.9 syntax of max() which is not compatible
> > > with newer or older kernels...
> >
> >         How are we going to fix that? Something like this?
> >
> > #if UTS_RELEASE "2.4.9"
> >         max(type, ....)
> > #else
> >         max(....)
> > #endif
>
> What about just using the current form, ignoring 2.4.9?
>
> It is a patch-o-matic match, and as such is not guaranteed to work on
> all kernels or even work at all, and certainly not kernels much older
> than the iptables release.

            Well, agreed. But I still think that we should try to support
all reasonable kernels (like it says at the top of the ChangeLog on the home-
page). For 1.2.3 that's 2.4.4 to 2.4.12.

> Regards
> Henrik Nordström
> MARA Systems AB, Sweden

Brad