2.4.10+newnat-0.91 panic solved

S. Shore sshore@escape.ca
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 08:33:20 -0500 (CDT)

As I reported earlier, I was seeing kernel panics with 2.4.10 with
newnat-0.91 patch. It turns out that the panic was happening about a
minute after any connection with a related expectation was closed. With
the ftp and irc helper modules, this means that ending any ftp or irc
connection would cause a kernel panic a short time later.

The problem stems from some changes made to the linked lists
implementation in the kernel. From include/linux/list.h:

static __inline__ void list_del(struct list_head *entry)
{
	__list_del(entry->prev, entry->next);
	entry->next = entry->prev = 0;
}

The second line in the function, setting next and prev to 0, was added in
2.4.10. It appears to have been removed somewhere in 2.4.11-pre. Removing
this line fixes the null-dereference panic.

Scottie Shore <sshore@escape.ca>
 "Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize
  a mistake when you make it again." -- F. P. Jones